My blog about kayaking with an extra focus on Valleys Nordkapp and Anas Acuta kayaks.
Some outdoors life in Sweden and the places around the world I travel to. Reviews on outdoors gear with mostly kayaking stuff..
At the bottom of my blog you can find all my Youtube videos on my playlist "AllSeasonsKayaking"

Saturday 13 August 2016

NOLS WSA 2016 day 3 to 5

Day 3 Tuesday July 12

Upp early to make breakfast and take down the camp. First moving day. Me and my tent mates did a quick job of getting ready. I paddeled one of the singels, a Chilco from Seaward Kayaks. A rudder kayak that was OK but not more. I did not like the way the pedals was attached with straps, I had to pull them very tight and then press hard with my legs to have the right leverage for a good paddle stroke. But it was nice for edging so I never had to use the rudder. 

We had a slow paddling with two stops down to Point Nowell. A nice peninsula in the north part of Knights Passage. I had a headache coming ashore du to lack of coffee but a quick brew took care of that.
A beautiful spot with the Chugach mountains in the North and Knights Island in the east.

Day 4 Wednesday July 13

A very warm morning so we got up at 06:30. We had the information that one of the participants was feeling very bad and that a coast guard helicopter was on the way to take her to a hospital. Very sad, but as I helped the girl to the helicopter I noticed that this was the only option for her. (She had to stay in the hospital for a week was was after that ok).
After that we packed our kayaks and proceeded to Dangerous Passage and a small bay on the west side of Chenega Island. A very beautiful small bay without any fishing boats that ad been constant companions the last three days. Now it was at last feeling like real wilderness! This day I paddled a double kayak with Kim, that was rather nice as I had more chances to take photos and had someone close to talk to. Someone who couldn't escape!
Me, Toby, Amy and Kim took a walk across the bay and upp into the muskegg. A lot of bear tracks and also a lot of salmonberries

Day 5 Thursday July 14

I was upp early and picked some salmon berries for the pancakes that Toby made for breakfast. Very nice. 
Paddled with Kim also this day but in the front this time. Kim did a good job steering the kayak. We crossed Dangerous Passage again and on the way a Sea otter cub was swimming around the kayaks very close. We made our way away so it could join it's mother.
Then we paddled in to Icy Bay but they stayed to far from shore for my taste. I like to paddle close to shore to see all the nice cliffs and the wild nature. A break at the mouth of Nassau Bay and then through an ice field into the bay and to our campsite across from Chenega glacier. Maybe the most beautiful place I've been to in Alaska!
In the evening we had a small fire and did some s'mores, an (in my mind, disgustingly sweet) american favorite.

More posts from my Alaska trip:
Anchorage
Day 1 and 2
Day 3 to 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9 and 10
Lisa

Sea lion

Toby

Josh

Alaska!

Early morning

Chenega glacier

Fresh bear scat

Salmon berries (Prunkhallon, Rubus spectabilis)

Through the ice field at Nassau Bay

Nice color

Wow!

My captain for the day, Kim.

Can it be better?

S'mores




No comments:

Post a Comment