My blog about kayaking with an extra focus on Valleys Nordkapp and Anas Acuta kayaks.
Some outdoors life in Sweden and the places around the world I travel to. Reviews on outdoors gear with mostly kayaking stuff..
At the bottom of my blog you can find all my Youtube videos on my playlist "AllSeasonsKayaking"

Sunday 13 September 2015

Koster islands

The west coast of Sweden has several archipelagos. The northernmost is the archipelago of Koster about 2 km from the mainland (actually the closest island with a bridge). This is also the first national marine park in Sweden.
Me and my daughter, Paula went there for two days kayaking. We started at Rossö and went straight west across the straits of Koster (Koster fjord) which has a bad reputation for high seas. Almost no wind on this very beautiful Friday in September made for an easy crossing.

Well on the other side we paddled south trough the small islands and passages to the island Tjälleskär where we set up our tent. In empty kayaks we set out to explore this maze for a couple of hours. We saw very few boats and just three other kayaks this late in the season. Back at camp we made dinner and took a small hike to watch the sunset.

Next day was a bit more windy but luckily from the east so the waves were not very high. It took 45 minutes to cross the strait back. We then paddled north and east to go around the islands Saltö and Tjärnö. The last is where The Sven Lovén Centre for Marine Sciences are. A bit more sheltered from the increasing wind inside these islands.
We made some late lunch on a nice beach and was back at Rossö and my car at about 16:00.

Two very nice days at the end of summer. It was nice that again I had my daughter Paula with me kayaking and whom I had not seen for three months. Our paddled distance was 32,4 km and average speed was 5,2 km/h.

There is a video at the end of the post, don't miss it!
Our GPS track
Two Valley kayaks. Paula in my Anas Acuta and my Nordkapp

Me in my Nordkapp

A slimmer version of me

Paula making lunch

A nice sea star

My third nice sunset in three days

Part of the Koster arcipelago


Rossö







No comments:

Post a Comment