My blog about kayaking with an extra focus on Valleys Nordkapp and Anas Acuta kayaks.
Some outdoors life in Sweden and the places around the world I travel to. Reviews on outdoors gear with mostly kayaking stuff..
At the bottom of my blog you can find all my Youtube videos on my playlist "AllSeasonsKayaking"

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Ice!

After two weeks of very cold weather and one week of storm and rain it was finally a nice day. And what a day! Last time I was out kayaking was January 1:st and the sun barley managed to get over the horizon, today it was like a beautiful spring day. The sun was warm and stayed up an hour longer, fantastic!
I had a good friend with me, Christer, and we both agreed that it was the best day yet this year.
We started at Sunnanå yacht harbor, on Lake Vänern, where we found a place without ice to get our kayaks in the water. Than we more or less followed the ice edge up to Köpmannebro where we had to break the ice in several spots to be able to reach the two bridges and the current. At that place we turned back again.
Two breaks during our trip, the first one on the sunny lee side of a small island. The sun was actually keeping us warm! I think it will be a spring and a summer also this year.

We came back to Sunnanå just as the sun was setting and it got cold very fast. The water on our kayaks was starting to freeze. As the water was rather murky at Sunnanå I didn't do any roll today. On the other hand I was invited to be a roll-instructor last Saturday in Lidköpng, indoors in a swimming pool and a bit warmer. That was fun and I was honored to have that invitation. I think they were pleased with me.


Here is a video from the kayaking


Starting at Sunnanå

Ice bergs!

Christer

A different way to store a kayak

At Köpmannebro

Christer is breaking the ice

Here the ice didn't break. 2" thick (5 cm)

The sun is going down on a calm Lake Vänern

No comments:

Post a Comment